The pieve of San Giovanni Evangelista is located in San Giovanni alla Vena in the territory of Vicopisano.
It was first mentioned in a document of 975 that confirms that it was dedicated to the Saints John the Baptist and Peter the Apostle. It originally stood near the Via Provinciale, but was entirely rebuilt later in 1590-93, probably on the present site, after the damage caused by a flood of the Arno. Today's church, however, is the result of a further rebuilding in 1828-40.
The façade is divided into two squat lateral avant-corps corresponding to the minor naves and a central one.
The bell tower was raised in 1851. The interior presents a nave and two aisles divided by pillars, surmounted by a barrel vault.