The Torri Gemelle (the Twin Towers), as the name suggests, show the same building features.
Though partly hidden by the Town Hall (especially the western one), they are really interesting to see. First of all, as the Torre Malanima , they were built with different techniques: the "verrucano" ashlars and terracotta bricks. This clearly demonstrates that both underwent changes and elevations, probably due to the fact that they were located along the wall enclosure and therefore suffered damages resulting from the numerous sieges.
Furthermore, the two towers, which can be dated back to the beginning of 1300, were an integral part of the medieval Rocca (fortress) , which is not to be confused with the later “Rocca of Brunelleschi”. When Vicopisano fell under the rule of Florence (1406), the fortress existing at the time was dismantled and replaced with the one planned by Filippo Brunelleschi. Luckily, the two towers were not demolished; even when the area of the Old Rocca became a private property in 1500, the two towers were spared. In 1600, the use of the area went once again from private to public, as it became the seat of the Vicarial Chancery. Let’s now examine in detail the building characteristics of the two towers.